Is there a possibility of pregnancy from the "pulling out" method of sex?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Kam
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetereo

Is there a possibility of pregnancy from the "pulling out" method of sex?

Unread post by Kam »

My boyfriend and I recently lost our virginity to each other, it was completely consensual and we were both genuinely ready and are committed to each other. Although we were ready to have sex we definitely are not ready to conceive.

We decided on the "withdraw method" for I read that it had a 96% success rate. But, he put it in for a few minutes and pulled out then we countinued with oral sex and he didn't cum way until later. But my paranoia comes from the theory that precum may contain sperm. But he wasn't any close to ejaculation when he put it in.

I've researched the topic beforehand and we're both 100% sure and tested that we don't have any STI's. So please do not involve any details about that.

Should I be worried about the possibility of pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is there a possibility of pregnancy from the "pulling out" method of sex?

Unread post by Heather »

No method of contraception is 100% effective, so anytime people are engaging in the kinds of sex that present risks of pregnancy, there will always be some possibility of pregnancy, it's just about how much.

If you want to lower that risk in the future, you'll want to either use one of the more effective methods of contraception -- withdrawal is one of the least effective -- OR double-up methods, like using a condom with a hormonal method. Condoms should generally always be considered a must, honestly, because STI risks aren't lower than pregnancy risks, particularly for the age group we serve who has the highest rates of them for people of all ages. (We're a health organization, so we can't be asked not to provide important health information: that's basically asking us not to do our jobs ethically and responsibly.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic