The morning after pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jelly-bean-

The morning after pill

Unread post by Jelly-bean- »

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on the 11th day of my period, and he pulled out. If I took plan b about 30 hours after intercourse will it still be effective in preventing pregnancy? Should I worry about it? What can I do if I experience any side effects? Did I overreact or did I do the right thing by taking the pill?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: The morning after pill

Unread post by Heather »

Emergency Contraception can be effective up to 120 hours -- five days -- after a risk. It is most effective when used within 24 hours, but still highly effective after.

Side effects of this medication are the same as any other: if you experience them, so long as they aren't any listed in the patient information that comes with it (and if so, you go and get emergency care), you just deal with them until they subside. Side effects of EC are usually very mild, and not anything intense or difficult to deal with.

Moving forward, it sounds like you don't feel comfortable with withdrawal alone as a method, and that's pretty reasonable: after all, it is one of the two least effective methods in typical use. So, how about having a chat with your boyfriend now about at least adding condoms to the equation, which are vital all by themselves for STI prevention, anyway? You can also look into a second method to pair with condoms if you like, like an IUD, hormonal method or other reliable method.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic