Birth control question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
smile1234
not a newbie

Birth control question

Unread post by smile1234 »

Hello Scarletteen staff!

I stopped taking my birth control 5 weeks ago and I haven't gotten my period yet. Right after I stopped the pill I got my withdrawal bleeding (enough for super tampons some days). I'm just wondering if it's normal that I haven't gotten my period yet. Before the pill my periods were on a 35 day cycle but I'm a little worried about pregnancy despite the withdrawal bleed.

Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control question

Unread post by Heather »

It's common for it to take a few cycles after stopping a method of hormonal contraception for your own cycles to get back into any kind of sync.

You also seem to be reporting that this timing has been normal for you in the past, anyway, and you are also reporting that you have had a period after stopping the pill five weeks (35 days) ago.

If you are concerned about being pregnant, then what you need to do to answer that is to take a pregnancy test.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic