What doctors can prescribe birth control?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lauren126
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to write!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: ?

What doctors can prescribe birth control?

Unread post by lauren126 »

17, female, US

Will pediatricians prescribe birth control and/or give advice on it? (I've never been on birth control) I'm Asking as I have an appointment in a few weeks with my regular pediatrician that I've had since birth. I was wondering if they'll have to conduct some sort of pelvic exam in order to prescribe birth control (in which case I would probably have to make an appointment with the gyno, right?), or if they can do so without a pelvic exam. Thanks in advance.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: What doctors can prescribe birth control?

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi lauren126,

Doctor's offices can vary on their protocol regarding birth control but I am sure it would be an easy question for them to answer if you called in and asked (and usually most doctor's office will have someone qualified to give advice regarding birth control). Either way, however, what kind of birth control you want to get is 100% your choice. If you want to read up on the different options here is a good source Birth Control Bingo!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: What doctors can prescribe birth control?

Unread post by Heather »

Just FYI, if you see a pediatrician that also does adolescent medicine - which, if they are still seeing you, they do - it is most typical for that kind of physician to also do basic sexual healthcare, including contraception and pelvic exams.

Current protocols for pelvic exams are that if you are sexually active, they will usually want to get you started with them as part of STI testing, as that is what is in the best interest of your health. If you aren't, then what is usually recommended is that they hold off with those, and Pap smears, until you are 21 or have become sexually active, whichever comes first.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic