Why is my period late.. Again?!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Daisy248
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Why is my period late.. Again?!

Unread post by Daisy248 »

Hi, my boyfriend and me engage in sexual activities where there is no chance of pregnancy i.e. Handjobs and fingering, we are always careful to wash hands etc. However my period is late - it was due on the 26th. Last month it was late by 10 days (making my cycle almost 40 days long!) I get PMS symtoms of sore breasts right now it feels as though I've had it for agesss!! I was just wondering if it is possible for your cycle length to change? Also do you know what is causing the delay in my period? When should it arrive? Thanks :D
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Why is my period late.. Again?!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Daisy,

It's not unusual for periods to be varied in their arrival times, especially if you're within the first few years of having one. We got into more detail about the different reasons one might be late in this piece: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
Daisy248
not a newbie

Okay thank you!! All long as there's no pregnancy worry, I'm fine. Hopefully my period will arrive soon! The artical is helpful thanks - should I worry if I miss my period completely this month?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Sometimes people skip periods, for sure. It also sounds like you have started to see a pattern of change with your period, so you should probably generally figure that you're just having a shift, rather than having a pattern of late periods. In other words, it may simply be that your cycles are getting slightly longer than they have been in the past.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Daisy248
not a newbie

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

A lot of people forget, or never learn, that menstrual cycles tend to shift and change at least a few times -- if not far more than that -- in a lifetime. How a cycle is for a few years is just how it is for a few years: not how it will be forever and ever.

To give you an example, as someone now in perimenopause who has had menstrual cycles for around 35 years, I'd say that my own cycles have shifted in major ways, in terms of things like their length, flow, how they feel, etc. at least five times, and probably closer to ten. They have been everywhere from, every 22 days, to a very average 28, to only showing up every few months when I first started getting them in my early teens.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Daisy248
not a newbie

That makes me less worried as I've never been told that period cycles change! I just assumed by overthinking that I was pregnant even though it was not even possible in my situation! Just one more question.. Usually how long do PMS symtoms last? Thanks
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It really depends, because a) not everyone even has PMS, or always does, and b) what it involves per symptoms, and for how long varies a LOT from person to person -- and even cycle to cycle, or life phase to life phase for one person sometimes -- because all of our overall bodies, health and life circumstances are just so different.

So, really, this is a matter of just observing over time what's most typical for you to know how long YOUR PMS symptoms usually last.

If you want to find out more about periods and cycles, you can also get started here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation.
Daisy248
not a newbie

That is helpful thanks! Usually the only Symtoms I get are sore breats and the occasional cramps. Do you think it will be helpful to take a pregnancy test?? I know it's not likely im pregnant because a) after my bf finished we both washed hands and did nothing else and b) there was no direct contact at all! But I worry that its so late and I feel I'm getting fatter on my belly! :(
Daisy248
not a newbie

Last month with my late period I took 2 good quality pregnancy tests a few days apart and both were negative - I still felt worried though!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic