Is EC necessary?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dblburer

Is EC necessary?

Unread post by dblburer »

I was prescribed a 10 day dose of amoxicillin for strep throat during my last cycle of pills. I took it for the last 10 days of my pack. I started my new pack on Sunday and last night my boyfriend and I had sex and he rubbed his penis (that had ejaculated in a condom about 15-20 minutes before but was dry) against my vulva near my clitoris a few times while I was opening the condom. I stopped him and explained why that wasn't okay since I'm wanting to back up my pills for the first 7 days of my pack in case of antibiotic interaction. Do you think I should take EC in this situation to be on the safe side?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Is EC necessary?

Unread post by Mo »

Amoxicillin isn't an antibiotic known for sure to impact the pill's effectiveness; You can read a bit more about that here but the short version is that while it is a good idea to use a backup form of protection like condoms while taking it, and for a week afterwards, it isn't a clear-cut instance of reduced effectiveness like it would be if you had been taking something like rifampin. The likelihood of your pill's effectiveness to have been reduced enough to make this a substantial risk is low, but it's really up to what you feel comfortable with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic