scared and paranoid

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Starry16
not a newbie
Primary language: english

scared and paranoid

Unread post by Starry16 »

Today my boyfriend and I had sex. He was wearing a condom and he ejaculated a bit. He tried to put it back in but I'm not too sure if it went completely inside me again. When we were changing positions He took it out again ( althought I dont know if it was really in me) and when I looked the condom was coming off a bit but I don't know if it was because he took it out or if it was like that when he had it in me. I got scared and we stopped there. Is there a chance that I would become pregnant and when I checked later the condom wasn't ripped and some of his semen was still in it but the fact that he had ejaculated a bit and the condom was a bit slipped off scares me.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: scared and paranoid

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi starry16,

As long as the condom did not break or come off, you can assume it did it's job. In the future though, the way to use a condom correctly is to change it out for a new one after ejaculation happens. You can read more about that here: All the Barriers! All the Time!
Starry16
not a newbie

so does this mean that I barely have a risk of becoming pregnant? because although the condom didnt come completely off some of it was slipped off...
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

With the kind of sex you had, we can never say it's 100% without risk. But with condoms, unless it came all the way off, it was not compromised. It sounds like he may also want to try a different size condom. Would you like some information on how to choose a condom that works for you and him?
Starry16
not a newbie

yes please but I live in japan so would the sizes be different than the ones that you suggest?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

My understanding is that the big brands will be fairly consistent in their sizing across countries. But ultimately, the key will be for him to try out the different types available to see what works. This article is a great starting point: Your Map to the Condom Aisle

We also have our own online store where you can buy different selections of condoms: Scarleteen's One-Stop Safer Sex Shop
Starry16
not a newbie

Thank you so much!
Just to make sure because I was confused with the word " not compromised". It means that the risk is quite low but not 100% risk free?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

It means that the condom is still providing the same amount of protection against pregnancy. Make sense? With typical use, condoms are 86% effective in one year.
Starry16
not a newbie

but how can it be providing the same amount of protection when there was some semen inside when he put it in again and while the second time some of it slipped off cause I think that the semen was dripping out a bit from the ring of the condom.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Condoms are designed so that fluids stay inside them and don't come out from the ring.

Obviously, we weren't there, so we can't know what happened. However, you said that the condom didn't come completely off: that sounds like you should still be protected, as the condom is still providing a barrier between the fluids inside it and you.

Like Sam said, it's important to use a new condom after any ejaculation. That's because the ejaculate inside the condom makes it more likely the condom will break if you continue using it. You said the condom wasn't ripped, so it sounds like that didn't happen to you.

Any time you have intercourse or other direct genital-to-genital contact, there's some chance of pregnancy. If you use a method of contraception correctly, like condoms, that chance is small; if you use two methods correctly together, that chance is very, very small. You're still sounding worried about this situation, so, how can we best help? Sam gave you a link to our information about correct barrier usage - would you like to talk more about correct condom usage so you can know for the future you're using them properly and have the most protection they can give you? Would you like to consider using a second method of contraception, together with condoms? Or, do you feel able to deal with even the tiniest chance of pregnancy at this point?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Starry16
not a newbie

yes please,
I actually got my " period" today but it's a bit unusual because I'm bleeding so much more than I normally do and the blood that comes out is a lot like blpody mucus, and I'm also getting really gassy and my stomach is thicker than normal. Can I consider this as a period and if so as a sign that I am not pregnant. because the incident with the condom happened only four days ago so is there still a slight risk?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi starry,

Okay! This article will get you started on the "buddy system" which is our name for using two methods at once: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

As for your period, symptoms and things like the amount of flow will vary from month to month.
Starry16
not a newbie

so then since i had my period im not pregnant right?!
Starry16
not a newbie

so since i got my period that means im not pregnant right?!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic