Combination pill - is it working properly?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
etudexc
not a newbie

Combination pill - is it working properly?

Unread post by etudexc »

:| Hi,

I have been taking the combination pill for a while now (about 6 months). There was a small 2 weeks when I didn't take the pill at all (I thought I was going to stop taking it and changed my mind) which occurred between the 4th and 5th pack. I am on my 6th pack now, so I have been consistently taking the pill for 2 months as directed. I've been engaging in a lot of sexual activity this month though and I'm now in my inactive week. Its the 2nd day and I don't have my withdrawal bleeding yet, which got me feeling both a little anxious and curious on the effectiveness of my birth control after that irregular 2 weeks of not taking it. Would that event decrease the effectiveness of the pill for a while, even though I've been taking it properly for 2 months after that event? How can I know if my pill is working? I've noticed some thick, white-ish discharge after sex as well. Is this cervical mucus and does it indicate that I am actually infertile?

Also, I don't know if its of any concern, but my period after last month's pack happened on the 3rd or 4th day of the inactive week and was really heavy. Does a heavy period mean that the pill's effectiveness was compromised or can this occur even with perfect use? I'd never had a heavy period on the pill prior to last month, and I don't know if this indicates that I will have the same heaviness this month.

Any guidance or explanations would be very appreciated! :|
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Combination pill - is it working properly?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi etudex,

Even when you're on the pill, you can still experience some irregularity or variation within your period. If you've been taking your pill correctly for two months, then you should be at the full effectiveness. Are you currently using a back-up method of birth control (like a condom)?
etudexc
not a newbie

Unread post by etudexc »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, we always use a condom as well, and he has only ejaculated inside once. No breakage. If any unnoticed genital-to-genital contact happened though, I just hope that my pill has been doing its job :/
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We really can't not notice when we are rubbing our genitals against someone else's. That's kind of like suggesting you and someone else could have been kissing without noticing you were kissing. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic