Implant question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Calypso
not a newbie

Implant question

Unread post by Calypso »

I got the nexplanon implant two days ago. Prior to that I hadn't been on birth control since the beginning of January. I was on pills. If I had continued on the pill I would have had a bleed next week. As it is I am not sure when I might have gotten my next period even without the nexplanon. However now that I have this implant is it possible to say when I might get a period? Is it likely to follow the same cycle? That is, can I expect a bleed next week?
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Implant question

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi Calypso,

I don't know much about the exact effects of the implant on one's period but I do know that it can certainly affect different people in different ways so there is not going to be one right answer to your question. If you are worried about this or want more specific knowledge about how it might affect your body and menstrual cycle specifically I would suggest asking your health care provider if you have one.
And if you want to flesh out more why it might be worrying you I'd be happy to go through that with you :)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

To add to what Carmen said: there's no way to predict whether or not you'll have a bleed next week. Stopping one method of birth control and starting another one can both cause a bit of cycle irregularity, and irregular bleeding is one of the most common side effects of the implant on top of that.

Did your doctor explain to you how the implant works, and what the possible side effects are? If not, as Carmen suggested, following up on that with them is one option. You can also read some more about the implant here: The Contraceptive Implant (Implanon/Nexplanon)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Calypso
not a newbie

Unread post by Calypso »

I did know about the irregular bleeding but was not sure how soon this may start to happen or how it might affect my "regular" cycke. I am just trying to figure out what to prepare for I guess.

Thanks for the info!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

With an implant just inserted, your best plan is just to figure that for the next few months or so, if not longer, you should expect for periods and spotting to be very unpredictable.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Calypso
not a newbie

Unread post by Calypso »

Heather, thanks I have been mia for a bit so didn't see this. Btw, I noticed that your article mentions that the implant is effective after two weeks. In a lot of other places I have seen that it is effective after one week if not inserted during your period. Could you explain? Thanks in advance.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

At the time of the writing of that piece, that was the standard prescribing information. It does seem to need to be updated (and I'll do that right now). Sorry for the confusion!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Calypso
not a newbie

Unread post by Calypso »

No problem, just wondered. Thanks!!

Oh, and as long as I can feel it, it's supposed to be working right? LOL it is weird.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic