Antibiotics and the Pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
aj2234
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Antibiotics and the Pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi guys, I just wanted to check I'm doing the smartest thing with my birth control. From January 30th - February 1st I was in hospital with an antibiotic drip (penicillin). From February 2nd - 9th i was on amoxicillin. I read on one of the fact sheet that common antibiotics may interact with the pill, and felt most confident with using a condom just incase. My partner and I have so far done so without issue. However, this evening we had sex and after he had ejaculated and pulled out, we noticed it looked as though there was a leak around the base of the condom. Some white substance was on the outside of the base of the condom and on the base of his penis. Neither one of us could discern who it had come from. Given that antibiotics don't necessarily interfere with the pill as once originally thought, is there any need to take any further precautions here, or should we be fine to proceed as is? Also, if you have the time (and I complete understand if not!) I was just wondering as to why the consensus on antibiotics and the pill has changed so dramatically. Thank you guys!
aj2234
not a newbie

Re: Antibiotics and the Pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Whoops I meant azithromycin not amoxicillin
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I hope that you're feeling better now, and that whatever landed you in the hospital has resolved or is in the process of resolving.

What you saw on the condom was most likely just both your fluids and lube. Friction tends to make that combination thicker and more white, so it can look like that on condoms. You just may not have noticed before.

I don't see, personally, any need for anything at this point.

My sense is that the consensus has shifted over the last ten years or so because there's finally been more actual study, and data from that study, rather than only theory or less formal observation.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Unfortunately I had pneumonia, but I am on the mend now! That's very kind of you to say Heather. I hope you're well, of course!

Okey dokey. Well that's good to know we're doing the right thing per contraception.

That's interesting, because to me, the relationship between antibiotics and the pill (that it would hurt its effectiveness) was always presented as a cold, hard medical fact, so it's interesting to learn that it's changed. Thank you very much for your help and insight, Heather! :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Oh, man. Been there, pneumonia is scary and no fun at all. So glad you're okay.

You know, with this stuff, it is just always changing, due to changes or expansions with medications, including the pill, itself, further study or different study, the works. And from a medical standpoint, when there is a choice between being cautious and not, instructions are always going to err on the side of caution, both for legal reasons, but also because if something could make a patient unwell, or create an unwanted effect - like pregnancy - it is simply good practice to be more cautious than not.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Thanks Heather. Yeah, I'm happy that the new research is out there and there's one less thing to substantially interact with the pill, but I know I would have been anxious if we didn't back up so that's what we both decided on.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Honestly, backing up any method with condoms is always a smart health practice! Especially when you have just been very ill, so your immune system is building itself back up: protection from any kind of infection, even the basic bacteria we all have on our bodies, is important.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic