Depo shot please need answers!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
needingadvice

Depo shot please need answers!

Unread post by needingadvice »

My second depo shot is due in about a week. Does it work up until that week? I've not had a period since I stared it, just occasional red and brown spotting. Can I still have unprotected sex with worrying about pregnancy? How do I know if the depo shot is protecting me and how do I know if it stopped my ovulation completely? Further how do I even know if I'm ovulating?????!!!?
Last thing, sorry so many questions, but does it protect from pregnancy even if ejaculation occurs inside or near vagina and how effective is it? I shouldn't need to use another form of BC right? Thanks! I'm probably just scaring myself... :shock:
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Depo shot please need answers!

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome to the boards. :)

So long as you stay on schedule with when you get your shots -- getting the next one no more than three months after the last -- Depo-Provera provides you continuous protection: the same level every single day, without the levels of hormone decreasing unless it's past three months and you haven't gotten a new shot.

We can't tell you what you can and can't do without worry: that's only something you can know for yourself. You know what will and won't make you worry, and if not, you'll find out as you go and adjust what you do as you need to. Depo is one of the most effective methods there is, so while it -- like any method -- doesn't give 100% protection, it's sure awfully close. But if you feel better using a condom as a backup, which is always a good idea anyway, since no other method gives STI protection, you can certainly do that.

There's no way of knowing ANY method is working except by seeing how you're using it, and don't become pregnant. So, this is about how much you understand any method, and trust the science involved that it has the effectiveness level it claims to, and gives you the protection you want. For more about Depo and how it works, you can read the information about it your healthcare provider gave you, on look here on our website: Depo-Provera (The Shot). That link will also give you the effectiveness levels.

EVERY method of contraception is designed to protect people from the sexual activities that can result in pregnancy, and factors in for fluids from the penis since, without them, there wouldn't be any pregnancy risk to reduce in the first place.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
needingadvice

Does the effectiveness of depo decrease since I am 17, and smoke?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I edited your post for your own protection: we ask users to never post about breaking the law, because this is a public forum and that could get you in trouble.

But nope: neither your age not those habits impact its effectiveness. If they did, we'd mention them in that information page I linked you to.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
needingadvice

Thank you I'm sorry I didn't realize it was a big deal since its legal in a lot of states. I do apologize.
needingadvice

Thank you for the quick response though I do really appreciate it (:
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Not for anyone under 18, it's not, just so you're aware per your own choices and posting about it anywhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic