Antibiotics

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Antibiotics

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi I was prescribed the antibiotic cipro for a UTI. I read your article that said it MAY interact with the birth control pill. I know I will need to back up this cycle. When I spoke to
Doctor I was a bit confused about something. He said that if the antibiotic was to lower the efficacy of the pill it would do so in like 2 weeks because that's how long it takes to make an egg. The thing that Im confused about is how long does the antibiotic stay In the system? I'm a continuous user of the pill and take breaks( placebo pills) every few months and restart active pills. If I go onto the placebo pills shortly after the antibiotics and then start a new cycle would the antibiotic be out of my system? Or is there a time frame that I should wait before going on placebo pills and starting a new cycle? I'm a bit confused on this topic so if you can clarify it I would appreciate it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Antibiotics

Unread post by Mo »

The best person to check with for clarification will be the doctor who prescribed the antibiotic to you as they'll have the most up to date info on that drug. There isn't any time you should mess with the schedule of your pill pack and take a longer break between active pills than your placebo week.

Have you had any luck talking to your partner about using condoms along with the pill?
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Antibiotics

Unread post by Dolly68 »

They told me it's usually that cycle that it can mess with. I just wanted a second opinion from you guys. What do you think? I did we spoke about it. We didn't come to a place where we both agree and I have been sick and on the antibiotics now so I kind of am taking a break now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic