Might be of concern?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Moose

Might be of concern?

Unread post by Moose »

While 16, I dated a guy whose mother had Hepatitis C. I inquired about whether or not it was passed down to him, and he said it was not. However, I'm still concerned (I am now almost eighteen, if that matters, and am no longer dating him.) The farthest we ever went was oral sex, and I know very little about the transmission of the disease. Am I at risk?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Might be of concern?

Unread post by Heather »

Since this was in the past, at this point, all you can really do is just get regular general healthcare and report any troubling symptoms, of anything, like you hopefully already do. You can also ask for a Hep C antibody test.

Really, concern about Hep C should be one everyone has, and it's one healthcare providers do too, so you can know that anyone who shows symptoms of what may be Hep C will have that considered. But again, while it wasn't likely this guy picked up Hep C from his mother (more on this and Hep C here), if you'd feel better getting tested, by all means, you can ask for that. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Moose

Unread post by Moose »

Thank you very much for the swift response. I'm going in for my first gyno visit within the next year, so I'll absolutely ask for a test then. I hope you have a good day <3
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing! :)

Hep C tests, just for the record, are general health tests, not sexual health tests, since Hep C isn't classified as a sexually transmitted infection. A GYN can usually do that test too, but if you didn't want to wait, asking a general provider is also a way to go.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic