Birth control pill with soda

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lmoss69

Birth control pill with soda

Unread post by lmoss69 »

I normally take my BC pill with water but tonight all I had was mountain dew to drink when taking my pill.. I was wondering if it is ok to take the pill with soda or will it decrease the effectiveness?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control pill with soda

Unread post by Heather »

It doesn't matter what fluid a person swallows the pill with.

Check the patient information leaflet that comes with your pill, sometime: it gives you all the most important information about using it. You can know that when it doesn't say anything about things like this, that's because it doesn't matter.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
lmoss69

Unread post by lmoss69 »

I'm a Sunday starter for my BC pills.. Am I ok if I take my first (Sunday) pill between 15-30 minutes later than I normally take it? I wasn't sure with it being the first pill in the pack
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi lmoss69,

Yes, 15-30 minutes will not harm the effectiveness of the pill. In fact, you have a 12 hour grace period before a pill is even considered late.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
lmoss69

Unread post by lmoss69 »

Thank you for the quick reply! That's what I thought but I didn't know with it being the first pill. You all are so helpful! :)
lmoss69

Unread post by lmoss69 »

I'm just trying to get things straight.. I know they say sperm can live up to like 7 days in good conditions so if I had intercourse this past Saturday but I took a pill up to an hour later than normal, let's say for instance last night (Wednesday).. You would be covered even in that hour that was late?
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

As Sam said, unless it is over 12 hours late, the effectiveness of the pill shouldn't be harmed. The pill is cumulative, so when you've taken all your other pills on time, you will still be covered within those 12 hours even if you haven't taken that day's pill yet. That DOES mean that the first few pills of the cycle ARE the most important ones to take on time, you're right -- but an hour late is still considered "on time". Even up to 3 hours late is still considered totally "on time".

I highly suggest reading these articles, as they really help clarify how the pill works:
How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?
Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic