The right BC for me?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
imwondering_
Awesomeness Quotient: .
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

The right BC for me?

Unread post by imwondering_ »

Hi, thank you for answering my last question. I've read the pregnancy scary companion and it has kinda put my mind at ease. I now would like to ask about birth control. My bf and I use condoms all the time. It's nice and all but sometimes I feel like it's not enough. I have bought spermicide but never use it because I have had UTI in the past and I read spermicide can cause one too.. I am also not able to take pill due to the fact that I have a heart problem and migraine. I live in Asia so it's hard for me to go to hospital and ask for IUD, only married women are advised to go there. Do you have any advice for me regarding future use of 2nd method of BC? Thanks!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: The right BC for me?

Unread post by Redskies »

Very happy to help you out with this!

Yes, very usually, a heart condition and migraine means that it isn't suitable for a person to use a birth control method that includes estrogen. Depending on your own particular medical situation - which you'd need a healthcare provider to tell you for sure - it's likely that you would be able to use other hormonal methods that only contain progestin.

Generally, condoms and spermicide are the only methods available without seeing a healthcare provider, so if you want to consider any other method, you'll likely need to see one. If you're living in a place where it's harder to get birth control - and I'm sorry for that, because we all at Scarleteen think that it should be available to anyone who wants and needs it - then you might just have to do what you can to access what you need, even if it's harder. We're happy to support you in that and help you figure out who you can see and how, if you need. Even if there's general social disapproval, there are often still ways that it is possible for you to access what you want. Which methods are available in which country can vary a little, but most methods are available in most places.

If you want to explore what methods exist and find out a bit about them, you can have a look at our Birth Control Bingo!. From what you've said so far, http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... t_estrogen and http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... hod_for_me are the most relevant parts. If you've had a look through those, is there a particular method you're interested in? Or anything that you especially do/don't want from a method?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic