Clarifying Questions about Pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
collegekiwi
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Clarifying Questions about Pill

Unread post by collegekiwi »

Hello,

During my last pill pack, I took one of my pills late (over 12 hours, but way before 24 hours) but took it immediately after I remembered and then later that day took my regular pill at around my usual time (before I go to bed). I decided to skip the placebo week and take a new pack of pills because I didn't want to have a withdrawal bleed.

I just recently started to have sex without condoms using the pullout method with my boyfriend (we were both tested so there is no risk for STIs/STDs) and I feel comfortable but also a little anxious about it since I have never done it before. I want to be sure that one late pill isn't going to compromise the effectiveness to the point where I have to worry.

Also, I have been using the pill for about 3 years due to severe cramps and other horrible PMS symptoms that would literally make me unable to walk, see, and hear. I have never had another experience like that since taking the pills and am super grateful. However, is it normal that my period has not shortened or gotten any lighter really since taking the pill? Is this an indication that it's not working? Or is the complete disappearance of the PMS symptoms reason enough to know it's working?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Clarifying Questions about Pill

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi Collegekiwi,

The pill is 91% effective in typical use, which is a good estimate for people who may occasionally have late pills. Combined with withdrawal, the pill is around 96% effective with typical use.
Everyone's bodies respond differently to the pill (as with any contraceptive) and there are no physical signs that it is working incorrectly - so changing symptoms does not mean anything in regards to effectiveness.
You mentioned feeling anxious about recently starting to have sex without condoms. I think it would be worth considering whether ditching condoms was the right decision for you or not since it is causing you anxiety - maybe using condoms is less of a big deal than you feeling anxious?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic