Bleeding during sex, plenty of lube, clear papsmear, no stds. Whats going on?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
greenkins

Bleeding during sex, plenty of lube, clear papsmear, no stds. Whats going on?

Unread post by greenkins »

Hello. Im sorry for the painstaking detail but this is starting to freak me out.
I am on Portia (Ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel). Ive had it for the past 2 years. The original b/c pill I was taking got discontinued, but it was basically the same thing. Ive been taking it on time with maybe missing a pill once every 4 months. No problems otherwise. Before I started taking it I had a period every 35 days, and it would last for 10 days. Now, I have a period every 28 days and I lightly bleed for 5 of those days, the first, second and last days are usually brown.
I just had my second 'well-women' test on 2/4/16, results came back great. No STDS, HPV, or anything abnormal. Same as the first pap in June of 2013.
I have been having sex for the past 4 years. Ive had 7 partners. Except on the first encounters, I haven't used condoms. The first guy I lost my virginity to, but that was the only time there was blood. We had sex for about 6 months, 3 times a week, and he would last about an hour each time. The second I slept with for about a year, sex 4 or 5 times a week, I would bled about once a month, which I attributed to rough sex (he would last about an hour each time). The third was really big, had sex about 4 times a week for 6 months, but the only time I bled was the first and second time we had sex (he would last about 30 minutes).The fourth I slept with for over a year, once or twice a week, and I never bled (he would last 15-20 minutes). The fifth was a one night stand, no blood, lasted 20 minutes. The sixth was thick and wide, slept with for 4 months, about once a week, and I bled maybe every 4 times we had sex, but that I believe that was from not enough lube, he was the only one I used condoms with, and whenever I bled there was a really bad rubber smell (he would last about 45 minutes each time). With every partner we did it in all sorts of positions and all times of the month except during my period. Now to the current situation:
Ive been having sex with my 7th partner since 12/10/15. He's really big, not thick, but long. The first time we had sex we used a condom and there was bleeding during sex. From 12/10/15 until 1/2/16 we had sex twice a week, with me bleeding every other time. I had my period from 1/2/16 until 1/7/16. We didn't have sex again until 1/15/16. From 1/15/16 until 1/28/16 we had sex twice a day almost every day.... and I didn't bleed once (he would last about 20 minutes each time). I had my period from 1/30/16 until 2/3/16. We had sex on 2/6 and 2/11 and there was a blood when he pulled out. Today 2/13 we had sex and there was a lot of blood... when I went to the bathroom to clean up there was an actual clot that came out of my Vagina, something that has only happened when Im on my period.
Basically, my current partner is nothing out of the ordinary for my sex life other than he is longer than all the others. We make sure i'm ready and wet, and have even started using lube. With one or two exceptions, Ive never had pain when we have sex. This is actually ruining our relationship and I have no idea how to fix it. I don't know if its related, but i've noticed i'm also now able to actually touch my cervix with my pointer finger.. something i've never been able to do before.
Thank you for your help.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Bleeding during sex, plenty of lube, clear papsmear, no stds. Whats going on?

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi greenkins,

Have you ever consulted any medical professionals about this problem? If not I think that would be your best option. We are not medical professionals here so can't tell you what exactly is wrong and you know best whether something is normal for your body or not. If you would like any help finding resources or reaching out to a medical professional we can help with that :)

Until then, if the sex you and your partner are having right now is ruining your relationship it may be best to stop having it. When you say it is ruining your relationship, what do you mean?
There are also many different ways to have sex that are not vagina/penis intercourse (I am assuming that is the kind of sex you are referring to but let me know if I am wrong!). If you want to read more about all the different things sex can be, this is a great read: What's Sex?. It also sounds like most of the sex in your past has depended on how long your partner lasts. Not only is sex not confined to vagina/penis intercourse, but it does not have to end when your partner does (if fact, It doesn't even need to have a clear start and finish). Especially if you feel like sex is becoming emotionally and/or physically taxing or causing your vagina to bleed in ways your are not comfortable with, it is your right to decide when (and how) sex ends.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Bleeding during sex, plenty of lube, clear papsmear, no stds. Whats going on?

Unread post by Heather »

I'm also wondering what your healthcare providers have said when you asked them about this.

It would be helpful to know what they thought it was about, and what, if anything, they've suggested for you with it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
greenkins

Carmen and Heather,
Thank you for your responses. Before this my health care providers have said it would be from my birth control, most likely that the lining in my uterus doesn't always fully come out during my 'period' due to stress, different eating habits, or drastic changes in exercise. This has been because of the minimal amount of blood that did come out while having sexual intercourse, and it stopping directly afterwards.
I did talk to my health care provider today, and she has scheduled me for a Ultrasound, another pap-smear, and get some blood work done. This way, she will be able to view and make sure I dont have polyps and everything is where it should be.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Glad to hear about those follow-ups!

By all means, before we go anywhere else with this, we -- and especially you! :) -- need to know if this is about a physical issue or not. It doesn't make much sense to talk about behavioural stuff to try until we know -- if that's what's found out -- that there isn't a physical cause afoot here.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
greenkins

Hello again!
Sorry for the late reply back. Work and school caught up to me.
It turns out I do have HPV; the first test was a false negative. They did an internal ultrasound (it was really cool seeing what my insides look like) blood work, and cell scrapings. While all other STIs and STDs were negative, I tested positive for HPV 16 and 18 with no visual genital warts.
So, my OBGYN has asked that I come back in July to see if it has progressed, stayed the same, or gone dormant.
She recommended that I make sure to have a good diet and lifestyle and work on keeping my immune system up to par.
Otherwise, keeping up with being on time with my birth control and working on making sure I am fully turned on before sex will help. My boyfriend and I talked about it, and he is understanding of how I feel about the whole thing (cause I have no idea who I got it from) and understands there is very little I can do other than hope for the best.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you have a good, solid plan for now; hopefully your OBGYN will have good news for you at your next appointment. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic