bcp side effects after years of use...

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
queershoulder

bcp side effects after years of use...

Unread post by queershoulder »

I was wondering if one can go for several years without experiencing the common side effects from taking oral contraceptives, and then begin to have them later on. Would this be unusual?

I've been on the same brand/dosage of an estrogen/progesterone pill for over six years. I never used to have breast tenderness/swelling, but now I do (as of 3 weeks ago). I see that these symptoms can be caused by the hormones in the pill. But if that was the case, wouldn't they have shown up a while ago when I first started on it?

I'm seeing my GP in a few days, but in the meantime am nervous about these breast changes. (I am not pregnant as I do not have sex with people who have penises).

I suppose my broader question is: can the hormones in oral bcp affect our bodies differently over time, even if we remain on the same formula and dose?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: bcp side effects after years of use...

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi queershoulder,

Yep, it's possible to have a change in side effects from your pill over time. Our bodies are not machines, so the way they and the medication interact is liable to change. However, it's sound to let your GP know you've noticed some new side effects, just so they can rule out any other potential causes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic