Bleeding whilst on pill and not during 7 day break

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
lozzarg1214
not a newbie

Bleeding whilst on pill and not during 7 day break

Unread post by lozzarg1214 »

Hi,

I am on the microgynon pill and have been for 2-3 years with no problems. I have had an STI/STD check and it is negative. But recently after sexual intercourse there is a constant unpleasant smell day-to-day and I've had very very light (little to non) bleeding which sometimes is only apparent when I wipe.

Please help
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Bleeding whilst on pill and not during 7 day break

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi lozzarg1214,

Is the bleeding only there after intercourse as well? Or does it happen randomly and/or come and go?
I saw in your last posts that you encountered abnormal bleeding a few months ago. How did that resolve itself? And have you ever noticed this constant smell before?
Spotting is one of the most common side effects of hormonal contraception methods such as the microgynon pill. Side effects can also occur at any point that someone is taking contraception - so even if, like in your case, you are 2-3 years into taking the pill, that is totally plausible. Bleeding inside the vagina could also be another possibility for what you are experiencing. In can take the blood up to a few days to work its way out of the vagina and that would be an indication that the sex you are having may be too rough for your physical health. If that's the case, having a discussion with your partner about the roughness of the sex would be good as well as making sure to use (or use extra) lubricant.
lozzarg1214
not a newbie

Unread post by lozzarg1214 »

Hi,

It is only after intercourse yes. And no I have never noticed this smell before. I was thinking it could be linked to a UTI as I have had one before. Is that possible?

Just wast sure if it was implantation bleeding? As I have read about that.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Lozzag1214,

If it seems to be tied mostly to intercourse, then using some extra lube and seeing what happens may help you rule out some causes. If the smell is unfamiliar and concerning you, then it sounds like a check up with a healthcare provider is in order to see if there's something else (like a UTI or yeast infection) going on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic