Ciprofloxacin and birth control pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
missmariah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have A.D.D but I won't let it define who I am.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Ciprofloxacin and birth control pill

Unread post by missmariah »

Hello Scarleteen!

I'm new here, but I have a few questions. On April 15th, I was diagnosed with a uti. I was given ciprofloxacin to take for a week. I asked the nurse who prescribed it if it would interfere with my birth control. All she said was that I should use a back up form of birth control for the week Im on the antibiotics and for a week after. I also asked my pharmacist who said there shouldn't be an interaction at all. How reliable are pharmacists? Anyway, my problem here is that during the week I was on the antibiotics, I was on my placebo pills and I had my period. Does that mean the antibiotics didn't interfere with my birth control pills? Am I safe to have sex now with my boyfriend? I made sure we used condoms and the pull out method for the week I was on the antibiotics and the week after, so I'm not concerned about being pregnant. Any information would be great! Thanks in advance! Also, I've been on the same bcp for the past 3 years and I haven't had any problems, if that helps!
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Ciprofloxacin and birth control pill

Unread post by al »

Hi missmariah, and welcome to Scarleteen!

It sounds like you got some conflicting information about birth control and antibiotics. Current research indicates that almost all antibiotics have no effect on the efficacy of hormonal birth control, but because they had small sample sizes in their studies, the results may not account for rare interactions (in less than 1% of users). This may explain the differing answers (although pharmacists are generally very reliable). More info on what can affect birth control can be found here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... th_control
But your nurse was right in that, just to be safe, you should use a back up form of birth control. Which it sounds like you did- both condoms and the pull out method, for the week of antibiotics and the week after. So when you say "is it safe to have sex now", are you referring to the effect of the antibiotics on your birth control? If so, you are protected as long as you've been taking your birth control consistently and correctly since the antibiotics. The fact that you were taking placebo pills during that antibiotic week doesn't matter, because you've had several weeks of active pills since then. So even if their efficacy was effected, you've had several weeks that have been unaffected. Does that make sense?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
missmariah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have A.D.D but I won't let it define who I am.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by missmariah »

Thank you for answering! Yes, that does make sense! I was just wondering if I was safe because some websites are saying to wait at least a month to have sex without a condom again, so I wasn't sure. I've been taking my bcp consistently and correctly since April 22nd (and before that too) so I don't see why I wouldn't be protected. Just a little paranoid I guess lol My breasts hurt right now though, which is a sign my period is coming soon so I'm happy about that. Thanks again! I'm definitely coming back here if I ever need more questions answered!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Glad we could help! If you need information on how to sort the accurate from the not so accurate information about sex and birth control, this is a great article: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic