Spotting on Birth Control Pills

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
rose12
not a newbie

Spotting on Birth Control Pills

Unread post by rose12 »

Hi,

So about 5 months ago, I switched from 1-month cycle birth control pills to 3-month cycle birth control pills (I'd been on the 1-month cycle pills for half a year). I know my doctor said that spotting in between my period while on the 3-month pills is normal and that I'd have less spotting the longer I stick with them, but I just really don't understand why it happens and I'd like to know. I'm on my second cycle of the pills and I did have more time spot-free than last time, but is there anything I can do other than just wait for my body to "adjust" whatever that means?

(I'm fine with staying on the 3-month cycle pills, I still prefer them to the 1-month pills, but I'd just really like to understand why the spotting happens and if there's anything I can do to reduce it)

Thanks,
Rose
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Spotting on Birth Control Pills

Unread post by Heather »

Really, spotting is one of the most common side effects of any form of hormonal contraception (as well as IUDs). So, people having spotting while using these methods isn't anything that waves any red flags by itself. Why does it happen? Most methods anymore are very low on estrogen, and it's estrogen that kind of stabilizes the lining of the uterus until (usually) a menstrual period arrives (for those not using hormonal methods that change that cycle by design). So, you use a method that keeps estrogen low, as most do, you get spotting sometimes, basically.

And when the method one uses is the kind you're using now, which is suppressing withdrawal bleeds for several cycles at a time, spotting is common because endometrial lining still builds up, albeit more lightly than it does for people not using hormonal methods, and basically just isn't always going to wait a few months to shed. Any way of doing menstrual suppression often results in spotting for this reason. Make sense?

If you're not current with STI tests, that's something you want to get current with regardless, but also do to rule out spotting due to an STI, which can happen with some. Otherwise, there's likely nothing to worry about here.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
rose12
not a newbie

Unread post by rose12 »

That makes sense, thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic