Switching Birth Control Brands

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
nhscc
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Switching Birth Control Brands

Unread post by nhscc »

Hi Guys!
About a year ago I had to have my period medically induced- my body was never able to get it on it's own :( After that I was put on Sprintec Birth Control for both period regulation and pregnancy prevention. Sprintec gave me regular periods, but it is a high dosage so it caused weight gain and major headaches. Because of this, my doctor switched me to Aviane (which is a much lower dosage).
I've been on Aviane for two months now, I'm just finishing up my second pack. Whenever I have sex with my boyfriend, he usually wears a condom, or never even comes close to cuming inside of me. On both packs of Aviane I have taken so far, I have only experienced clumpy brown spotting. Heavier brown spotting happens in the middle of my packs usually, and then during my period weeks there is lighter brown spotting, but nothing major and definitely no real red blood. Therefore, I experience it twice in one month- but not enough to need a tampon or anything. Is this something that usually happens when switching birth control brands, or should I be concerned it's something more...?
Any help would be appreciated, thank you
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Switching Birth Control Brands

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome to the boards! :)

You know, without knowing your medical history and what your healthcare provider who has that history has to say about it, we're not going to be able to give you very good feedback here.

That said, what menstrual periods -- or, as in this case, withdrawal bleeds -- look like varies a pretty good deal between people. So, for some, again, with with periods or withdrawal bleeds, what they see is thicker (and thickness is also about vaginal discharges and cervical mucus) and more brown than red without them having any kind of health issue.

I'd say, though, that since you obviously have access to a healthcare provider, this is just the kind of thing to check in with them about via a call or using an online patient communication system, if your provider has one, to see what they say. That way you can be sure you've checked with the rightest person there is per your health to know if there's any reason for concern, and you're probably going to feel less stressed just getting that feedback from them, anyway, you know?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic