Birth control question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Lizzie6211

Birth control question

Unread post by Lizzie6211 »

I have 2 random questions about birth control (specifically talking about Ocella).

1) I read in the pamphlet that comes with the pill that if you miss 1 does and take it as soon as you remember and continue your other dose as usual that you do not need to use any kind of backup method (quoting directly from the pamphlet: "Take it as soon as you remember. Take the next pill at you regular time. This means that you may take two pills in one day.") My question is what if you don't realize that you have missed a pill until it is 24 hours later and time for your next dose? I know that you are able to take two pills at once, but my question is specifically: do you need to use a backup method of birth control if you did not realize you missed it until it's time for the next dose?

2) When talking about Ocella, is it more effective the longer you are on it? For example, if you are on it for 7 years consistently, is it more effective than someone who has only been on it for 1 year? I have read conflicting reports about this online.

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control question

Unread post by Heather »

Ultimately, we really always strongly suggest that whatever other methods people use, they back up with condoms. Not only do no other methods besides condoms provide protection from infections -- which are just as much of a risk as pregnancy is, something a lot of people don't realize -- but then you always have a method in play if and when you do make any mistakes. Since we're all only human, we are just going to make them sometimes.

When a pill is taken more than 24 hours late, it's not a late pill anymore, but a missed pill. And while late pills are unlikely to decrease the effectiveness of your pill, missed pills can. So, our best advice, again, would be to always back up with condoms regardless, but certainly to use them in any cycle where you have missed any pills. We're just of the better-safe-than-sorry school with most things around here. :)

In terms of effectiveness with how long someone uses any brand of oral contraceptive, once you're past your first pack of pills -- and then unto the 2nd, 12th, or 25th -- so long as you take the pill correctly, it's as effective as it gets. Someone who has taken the pill for years doesn't have greater effectiveness than someone who has for months, save that people tend to make more mistakes when they first start using the pill than they do once they've been taking it for a while, if you follow me.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic