Summertime sadness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ocean99
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them

Summertime sadness

Unread post by ocean99 »

So the day before yesterday was my last day of school. I've been feeling a little sad & I've been constantly thinking about a teacher of mine. I developed a crush on him but later realized that I look up to this dude as an important male figure in life. Like yeah I do still find myself crushing on him but it's like i view him as a cool- adult-mentor-figure-type-dude. He's retiring and I won't see him when school starts up again. He said he will be back to sub or tutor, but he'll be around for sure to coach baseball. And this summer kinda sucks cause i won't be coming to school to see him. I realize that this probably isn't healthy for myself since i think about this dude alot and it's making me feel sad. I know you just can't 'get over' a crush immediately, but what are some ways to cope? I journal about this and it makes me feel kinda better writing it out, I also just search or listen to music to not think about it.. And I've been trying to busy myself so I don't think about it & get sad.
Also would it make sense to get myself into the mindset that in the future I'll probably come across more people like him? *and are around my age
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Summertime sadness

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi lomiedahomie,

It's pretty normal to feel a little down about not seeing a crush (even one that was always go to be solidly not an actual person you could date). After all, crushes can be a fun distraction, and it can be sad to bid them farewell.

It sounds like you're already taking some good steps, like journaling and finding things to occupy your time with. And you're right, you'll definitely meet someone who pings those same parts of your brain as this person did, and that can be helpful to keep in mind.

Something we encourage people to do is, when they're feeling sad about losing a relationship, to take some time to focus on developing themselves as well. In other words, cultivating their own awesome rather than focusing on how awesome this other person was. Is there something new you've been wanting to try doing? Or an old activity you loved doing but feel out of the habit of?
ocean99
not a newbie
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Summertime sadness

Unread post by ocean99 »

When school was still in, I used to create art pieces and give it to him and he'd put it on his wall. I could go back to creating some pieces of my own and hanging it around my walls or giving it to some close friends of mine. Also, summer school is this Wednesday.. so I can focus on improving some of my geometry skills. Art & math
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic