New to BC pill + Broken Condom

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
moviegoer

New to BC pill + Broken Condom

Unread post by moviegoer »

Hello, I recently started taking oral contraceptives last month, so I am currently 2 weeks into my second 28 day combined pill pack. Last month, I had some weird side effects with my pill like a 2 week bleed, so I was worried about the effectiveness of my birth control pill. I called the pharmacy, and they informed me that this was normal when you first start and to not be alarmed by the effectiveness of the pill if I have been taking the pill as indicated. Which I have been-- I aim to take my pill at 10am each day, plus/minus 30 min (so between 930-1030am--and I have never missed one).

This weekend, my boyfriend and I had sex and wore a condom. However, after about 5 minutes, he noticed in an instant that something felt different, withdrew, checked and found a hole in the condom. He didn't ejaculate yet and urinated about twice before we even had sex. I think that we did not use enough lube as I've noticed the birth control has increased vaginal dryness--something I have never had before.

We talked about it and agreed that I should get Plan B, so we went to the pharmacy that morning (about 14 hours after we had sex) and picked up Plan B and I took it as indicated. I'm still worried though and am concerned if I even needed to get it because I am on the pill (1.5 packs in)? Did I do the right thing or did I just overkill it?

Thank you for your help!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: New to BC pill + Broken Condom

Unread post by Heather »

Your pill likely did everything already that Plan B does, and more effectively, no less. But there is no cause for concern there per doing anything wrong, you are just out cash you did not need to be.

But for sure, using additional lube with condoms no matter what is important to keep them from breaking, as well as to keep them geeling good. And all the more important when using a hormonal method, because yep, increased vaginal dryness is common.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
moviegoer

Wow! Thank you so much, Heather, for your fast reply! You guys are a great resource. Just out of curiosity, when does birth control start being effective (especially since I had a weird first month on it and am now on my second month)?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You're welcome. :)

If and when someone starts a combined method, like the pill on either day one of their period OR on or before the first Sunday after a period begins, it is thought to be fully effective within one week. Those who start at other times are advised to use a backup method for the whole of their first cycle, since taken at any other time than those listed above, it basically may not change the whole cycle during that first pack because, in a word, it has already gotten itself started in terms of the body preparing to ovulate.

But whenever you started, now that you are in pack two, and clearly taking it on time daily, you are covered!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
moviegoer

Great! That's such a relief. As far as timing, I have heard a lot of different sources say different things. Is it a three hour window that I should follow? I apologize for all of these questions. I sadly never had this explained to me when I started it, only to start the Sunday after my period, so I just assumed to try for the exact same time each day.

As well, will taking Plan B affect this pack at all? Or should I just go with the fact that its even more added protection and that this pack will still be fully effective as long as I take it at the same time each day without missing pills?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

No worries. Have you read the patient insert that comes with each pack of your pills? If not, you'll find a lot of this basic information there, too.

Assuming you are taking a combined pill, not a minipill (and if you're not sure, just toss me your brand name and we can find out), you just want to aim to take it around the same time of day each day: like in the morning, afternoon or night. With combined pills, you have a 12-hour grace period until a pill is late, and 24 hours before it is considered missed.

Again, Plan B really can't add protection. Your pill already does everything it does, and at a higher effectiveness rate. You may or may not find you have some extra side effects because of taking it, but that's about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic