Birth control effectiveness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Bella_lou
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Birth control effectiveness

Unread post by Bella_lou »

Hey, today when I took my bc pill I accidentally dropped it in my soda...It fizzed for a couple seconds and then I drank the whole lot as fast as I could. Am I still protected? Or will the chemical reaction that caused the pill to fizz possibly have reduced the effectiveness of the active ingredients? Should I take a spare pill just in case? If I did take another pill it would be a few hours late but less than twelve
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control effectiveness

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Bella_lou,

EDIT: I defer to Heather's answer on this (see below)
My understanding is that as long as the pill was not mostly dissolved in the soda, you should still have gotten the full effectiveness. However, if you're concerned and also planning on being sexually active soon, you can back up with condoms for peace of mind
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I would personally suggest backing up with a second pill. Your pill needs to be absorbed in your body at the dosage it is, not at a lower dosage, which could occur if it's dissolved in whatever liquid you're taking it with.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Bella_lou

I was planning on using condoms (as usual) for the next week minimum, just to be safe as I heard there can also be side effects of doubling up on pills and the pill only dissolved for a couple of seconds. I only have two hours left to decide whether or not to take a second pill or it will be late, do you think just using condoms will be safe enough?
Bella_lou

Please ignore my last comment, I decided to take a second pill as recommended. It was ten hours after the first ( but still in the grace period) so I'm hoping that will reduce the side effects of I do experience any. Next time I'll be careful not to take pills with Sprite! Thanks so much for you help, I'll be sure to use this forum again ☺️
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, I'm glad we were able to help out :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic