Missed two pills in a row, worried

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Noraneko
Primary language: Portuguese

Missed two pills in a row, worried

Unread post by Noraneko »

I missed two bc pills in a row (2nd week) and had sex on the first day of missed pill, but we used a condom and were very careful. This is the time I miss two pills and usually we use condoms and the pills together. I regret having sex that day because I feel I was not protected enough and I'm worried about pregnancy. So I have a few questions:
1. How unprotected I was if I missed two pills?
2. If we were careful so that the condom didn't slip and the condom didn't break, it means I have nothing to worry, right? Could the condom have leaked and not show? Does filling it with air helps checking(after sex)? How do I make sure everyhting is ok?
3. If I used a condom, is plan b necessary in these cases?
4. I'm bleeding just a bit, like normal discharge with very little red mixed, could it be that I got hurt, or because I missed the pills? Or should I worry?
5. Will I get my period normally this month?

Thank you!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Missed two pills in a row, worried

Unread post by Karyn »

Hi Noraneko, and welcome to the boards. :)

1. It's not possible to say how much your protection was compromised by missing two pills in a row, just that it would have lowered the effectiveness of your pill some. (If you think you'd like to investigate other methods of birth control that don't require taking a pill every day, that's something we can talk about.)

2. Condoms are very effective when used properly, and as long as it was used for all genital contact and did not slip off or break, then you can know it did its job. When condoms fail, it's obvious: a condom failure occurs when the condom slips all the way off, and broken condoms tend to look shredded, kind of like a broken ballon. Not something you can miss. If neither of those things happen, then the condom worked; there's no need to fill them with water or air or anything else afterwards.

3. Since you did use a condom, and it did not break or slip off, then I wouldn't say there's a need for Plan B here.

4. The bleeding you're having could be due to a scrape or small cut from sex - for example, if you weren't using extra lubricant - or it could be as a result of the two missed pills. Sometimes people find that when they miss a pill or two it causes some spotting or bleeding. If it doesn't stop within the next few days, it wouldn't hurt to check in with a healthcare provider.

5. There's no way to know whether or not you'll get your withdrawal bleed (the period you get on the pill) as usual this month; for some people, missing pills can result in their bleed showing up late or not at all, for others it doesn't make a difference. This is one of those times where all you can do is wait and see what happens.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic