For future reference: is hand sanitizer+wiping as effective a way to kill sperm as washing your hands?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
brian12ray
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

For future reference: is hand sanitizer+wiping as effective a way to kill sperm as washing your hands?

Unread post by brian12ray »

Like the title says. If one is unable to access a sink, is hand sanitizer effective enough to completely, 100% kill or remove trace amounts of semen from hands? I cannot seem to find a conclusive answer on this from searching the internet. If not, how long would one half to wait after sanitization for ones hands to be considered "clean?" Thank you!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: For future reference: is hand sanitizer+wiping as effective a way to kill sperm as washing your hands?

Unread post by Karyn »

Yep. Using hand sanitizer works just as well as washing your hands, and like handwashing, your hands are clean immediately afterwards.

Really though, if you're concerned about this from a pregnancy prevention standpoint, know that transferring trace amounts of semen from place to place isn't a way that pregnancy happens. You can read more about that here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic