Struggling to move on

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
caligirl94
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My smile
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Struggling to move on

Unread post by caligirl94 »

It's been a few months since my ex broke up with me and I still find myself thinking about him all of the time. I've deleted him off social media, deleted our pictures and deleted his number but no matter how much I try to get rid of him, he's still on my mind. I think I'm still hurt by it because I was completely blind sided by the breakup but I feel so stupid for still thinking about him. All of my family and friends tell me that there's no reason for me to still be thinking about him and I should be over it already but I can't shake it. Is it normal for me to still be feeling this way after three months of being single?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Struggling to move on

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Caligirl,

Ooof, break-ups can indeed suck, especially if you don't sense them coming. There isn't really a set timeline for when you feel "over" someone who broke up with you. How long you dated, the reason for the break-up, and even where you are in your life in general can affect how long it takes to heal. There's no magic solution that makes you immediately stop caring (even if you're at the point where you want to be over the other person).

It sounds like you're already taking steps to make this easier (like removing him from your social media) but you might find more tips on how to do that in this article: Getting Through a Breakup Without Actually Breaking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic