Candida or Yeast Infection on Penis?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
gdelaguardia
Awesomeness Quotient: I play the drums in a band.
Primary language: Engles
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bi sexual

Candida or Yeast Infection on Penis?

Unread post by gdelaguardia »

Ok so my girlfriend and I have been exclusive and we originally were always using condoms plus she also started her bc pill prescription when we started habing sex a few momths ago.About a month ago we got fed up with the condoms breaking all the time plus we wanted to experience each other fully in the flesh with no barrier between us and it has been great but a few days ago she started developing symptoms so she set up a doctors appointment and she found out she has candida, or better known as a yeast infection as i have already learned from this awesome site :) So anyways earlier today i startrd noticing some possible symptoms on myself.. on my penis to be specific.. The earliest i can possibly get in to see someone is on thurs because of my work scjedule but i sm pretty sure im going to go to the cliniic becausr i dont have a regular doctor... So, with sll of that already decided thanks to the awesome person from this site who helped me figure all that out so i can now even begin to understand.....But before i came here i asked a good friend as well who usually is pretty knowledgeable and she told me that i wouldnt get candida from my girlfriend because its not acquired thru sexual contact... So I guess
my first question is is it possible for a yeast infection to pass between sexual partners?. The other thing she said that I guess I'm kinda skeptical about, even thouh I do want to brliev her, is that while technically possible for a guy to get a yeast infection its actually kinda rare and not really anything i should be worrying myself about. So, is it possible and if so how common is it for males to get yeast infections on their penis? If it is that and I actually do have a yeast infection there am I doing something wrong so I'm at high risk?. I dont really get it
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Candida or Yeast Infection on Penis?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi gdelaguardia,

To quote this article ( http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... infections ) on the site "Yeast infections are not exactly contagious, but a decent percentage of sexual partners experience itching and rashes if one partner has one. In addition, those being treated for a yeast infection should abstain from sex, especially since treatments can erode a condom, and sexual activity can increase swelling and irritation. " Too, if you're experiencing discomfort or other symptoms, going to the doctor is still a sound idea.

You mention that you two were having repeated instances of the condom breaking. When that happens a lot, it's a sign that the condom is not being used correctly or is sized wrong. You can read about how to use them correctly here: All the Barriers! All the Time! I include that because we encourage people to continue using condoms even when they're exclusive and using another method of birth control. You can read more about why that is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_ ... _safer_sex
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic