Late of taking contaceptive pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
nebras143
Awesomeness Quotient: Attitude
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Pretty

Late of taking contaceptive pills

Unread post by nebras143 »

Hi.. i took my contaceptive pill August 12.2016 3 days before my ovulation . The day i took the pill. I had sex with my bf 30 mins after i took the pill. Im worried if i will get pregnant.. i didnt took the usual normal of my taking the pill coz i fight with my bf.. when we're back in each other arms.. i took the pill 30 mins before we had sex.. then i found out that my.ovulation starts on Aug. 15. Is it possible i will get pregnant.. .so worried. I still continue using the contraceptive pill.. but worried if i will get pregant.. coz i took the pill very late. Please answer.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Late of taking contaceptive pills

Unread post by Karyn »

Just so I'm clear about exactly what happened: by how many hours late did you take your pill? (In other words, what time of day do you normally take it, and how much later than that did you take it on the day you're worried about?)

Also, is it a combined pill - with two different kinds of hormones - or a mini-pill, with just one type of hormone?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
nebras143

I took my usual contraceptive pill. Which i usually take after my period.. its not a combination Pill.. name is yasmin.. 5 days after my period i took the piil coz i met my bf.. i took the piil 30 mins before we had sex. Then i found out its my fertile day and. We had sex Aug. 12..5 days of my fertile days. Then August 15 is ovulation day. I know the sperm lives till 5 days in the ovary. So i was worried if my taking the pill wont work. Coz its not a combination pill.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

Sorry, still a bit confused over here. Yasmin is a combined pill (it has two kinds of hormones), and it's something you need to take every day at the same time.

With combined pills like Yasmin, as long as you take it within 12 hours of your usual time, then it's effective (and you won't have fertile days), regardless of when you have sex. If you have not been taking one pill every day, then yes, you have had a risk of pregnancy. Does that make sense?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
nebras143

I took the first pill on the 5th day of my fertile day. Usually i took the pill after my period ..my period last 7 days. So on the 8th day i usually took the pill. But i decided not to take coz i broke up with my bf.. i got my period Aug. 1 and it last on Aug. 7. Usually i take the pill after my period.. so i supposed to drink it on Aug. 8. But i didnt knowing i wont meet my bf again.. he started calling me and agree to meet him on Aug. 12 so i drink the pill on that day... after 30 mins.of taking the pill, we had sex. And continue drinking the pill till now.. but im worried coz i found out that its my fertile day when we had sex..though i drink the pill... and my ovulation is Aug. 15.. is it possible i get pregnant even i took the pill 3 days before my ovulation and continue drinking it till now?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

If you did not take the pill every day, and especially if you did not make up for missed pills, then you did not have the full protection from the pill. If you have not skipped any pills, then you still had full protection.

It sounds like you may be a little unclear on how, exactly, the pill works. These articles have lots of good information on that topic:

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)
nebras143

Thanks a lot... youre a big help. God Bless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic