Bartholin Glands.

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
keepthefaith
Awesomeness Quotient: I care to much about others before self.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Anything is fine.
Sexual identity: straight

Bartholin Glands.

Unread post by keepthefaith »

I wanted some information on the Bartholin glands. They are situated to left and right of the vaginal opening and produce vaginal lubrication and mucous when a female is aroused or during sex and masturbation and perhaps at other times. While I know their function I wasn't sure how a supply of fluid was replenished, how often or where in the female body it's stored. That's my main question.

I also know that the glands can become blocked up, infected or have cysts. How is that treated? I know from being a male that with us semen is produced in the testicles and mixes with fluid from prostate that is ejaculated from the penis as semen. I was wondering if this was in any way similar with females with how fluid is released and where it is stored. I never asked in sex-ed or learned as I became older. In men as you know you have to reach puberty for production of semen and sperm to happen but wasn't sure in females if this mucous and lubrication is something that the glands can always secrete or if this wetness only occurs after puberty and only if aroused.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bartholin Glands.

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi keepthefaith,

I think these two articles would be a good place to start. If you don't find what you're looking for there, you can follow some of the links in the pieces to places where there might be more information on this specific topic:
Innies & Outies: The Penis, Testes and More
Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic