Fed up with doctors

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
tos3
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/they/xe
Sexual identity: gender is meaningless

Fed up with doctors

Unread post by tos3 »

Two weeks ago I started experiencing extreme pain & burning in and around my vulva (this was on a thursday.) When the weekend came and it hadn't subsided I called up my gyn, they said they couldn't have me in until Wednesday. In the meantime I used a three day Monistat kit as prescribed over the phone and extra AZO tablets my mom had in her bathroom. Monistat didn't really do much and the AZO tablets stopped working after about 5 days. I even went to the MinuteClinic at one point and they prescribed me a really strong antifungal.

When the day of the appointment finally came I went in, they did a culture, full STI workup and blood samples and even an ultrasound but couldn't diagnose me with anything at all, save for a normal ultrasound. I asked my doctor about a yeast infection (she wasn't sure) and if me having unprotected sex with my partner could have caused it (she said I should use condoms.) That was about how long that conversation lasted.

A week passed. I finally get a call, two results are negative. I don't get my full results until this last Friday (all negative, thankfully.) By this time I've started having unprotected sex with my partner again, five times we tried and couldn't even get it in it was so painful. After about the fifth or sixth time (across days) we can get it in, it's still painful but doable. Last night was our least painful time yet, it felt better.

Today I finally got a call from my doctor and she wants me to reschedule. I'm so angry and frustrated that no one told me anything, no actual diagnosis, no treatment that worked. I basically had to wait out this thing (whatever it was) and it's only just really starting to totally subside. I'm wondering if there's even a point to rescheduling if it's just going to be a waste of my time and money and no answers, especially if this thing just goes away by itself.

tl;dr I hate my GYN, she gave me no information on my condition and patronized me when I told her I was having unprotected sex. I've had these symptoms for almost two weeks now and they're just starting to go away, and she wants me to reschedule. Is there even a point to it?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Fed up with doctors

Unread post by Mo »

It certainly sounds like you had a frustrating experience with your doctor. If you're still experiencing pain, even if it's improving, I think checking back in again could be helpful since it sounds like there hasn't been a definitive answer yet as to what's causing the issue. If you want, you could call the office back and double-check if your doctor really does want you back if you're noticing the symptoms improving.
Also, if you're frustrated in general with your doctor's demeanor you're allowed to switch doctors! If you have insurance you may be limited in terms of who you see, but there's probably a way to see someone else if you're not happy with your current doctor. Having a doctor you get along well with, who's willing to take time to answer your questions, can make a huge difference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic