Changed birth control methods, no period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Changed birth control methods, no period?

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Hi there,
I'll try and explain this as much as possible hopefully it makes sense.
I used to be on the combined 21-day birth control pills, then had the implant fitted when I nearly finished the packet I was on at the time (I felt it was a better option for me)
the nurse instructed me to finish my packet of pills as the implant takes a week to kick in, so I did so and took the last pill on Monday, and my period is usually due on Friday which was yesterday. However I wasn't sure if I was going to get my usual withdrawal bleed as by the time I was due the implant's hormones would've already kicked in (it's been 10 days since I've had it fitted now) I did ask my local clinic about this and they said it's just a case of waiting it out as i may get a bleed or it may not happen at all. It's now been a day since I should've got my withdrawal bleed and it still hasn't shown up, should I be worried? I took a test this morning just incase and it came up negative.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Changed birth control methods, no period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Angeldelight,

I will second what the clinic said, which is that you may have to just wait this out while your body adjusts to the new birth control method. It's pretty normal to experience some cycle unpredictability when shifting methods.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Thank you for replying!
Does that mean I shouldn't have to worry about it that much? I've taken all my previous pills properly and on time beforehand. Is it just my body adjusting?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Most likely (we can't say for certain because we can't diagnose things via the internet). But assuming you used the pills correctly and followed the directions from your healthcare provider around the implant, you should be in good shape. Too, if you're sexually active right now and are still feeling anxious about the protection level, you can always back up with condoms.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Yes we always use condoms anyway, it was only one time on the 20th of August me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex using withdrawal (mutual decision) and Any other time we've had sex it's always been with condoms anyway, I guess that's why I'm worried a little because Im not used to not using one.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Could having no period just be a side effect to the implant's hormones? Now that it's been more than a week since I've had it in? When I was on the pill my cycle was every 28 days, so the implant was fitted around day 17/18 of my cycle.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Please can someone reply I really need advice asap!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Methods like the implant, the injection and hormonal IUD can - and this is usually listed with the printed information provided with and for those methods - sometimes result in less frequent periods, or even periods stopping for months or years for some people.

You will find note of that in our own information about it on the site: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... ve_implant

(Reminder: you don't have to wait on anyone for answers like this! Just use the search function for the site and you'll usually find them yourself easily.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Okay that's great thank you so much!
One last question, is it possible that the implant can stop your periods instantly though? Even if they've only been in for a short time like mine has? (11 days)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Please can someone give me more advice? I trust this website a lot and its content, can switching from the pill to the implant stop you from having any withdrawal bleeding/bleeding at all right away? I really am worried please I need advice.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Again, the clinic already filled you in on the fact that by all means, starting the implant can mean that you may not get the withdrawal bleed (which is something the pattern of the pill makes happen) as you're used to.

I know that when you are used to certain patterns with your body, it can be hard to get used to fast changes, but do know that periods or spotting being a big question mark is just something that's likely to be a given over at least the next few months, and for some users of the implant, the whole time they are using it. So, that's just something you're going to need to accept.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic