Very confused

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Anon87
not a newbie

Very confused

Unread post by Anon87 »

If I got a negative pregnancy test result three weeks after a pregnancy risk, is that accurate?
The pregnancy risk occurred about a week/ week and a half before I got my period (and I took the test about a week or two after the end of my period).
I'm confused; is a test accurate as long as it's at least two weeks after a pregnancy risk (regardless of whether it's taken when your period is due or not?)
Should I have taken it when my next period is due, in a couple of weeks? I didn't think it would matter as the risk happened before my last period and I took the test after that period ended. However, I heard somewhere that because my last period was less than two weeks after the pregnancy risk, I should have waited until my next period is due to take the test? (But I don't understand this, especially as it has now been three weeks since the pregnancy risk so surely this is enough time after, regardless of whether I take the test now or when my next period is due?) I'm very confused and I hope my question makes sense...
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Very confused

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Anon,

This article has lots of information on pregnancy tests: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
The general rule is that you should follow the directions on the specific test you bought for when and how to test.

Since this is making you anxious, have you and your partner had a chance to discuss dialing back your activities to be only those where you're comfortable with any risks involved?
Anon87
not a newbie

Unread post by Anon87 »

So is taking a pregnancy test 3-4 weeks after a risk definitely accurate?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

That link Sam provided for you gives you that information.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Anon87
not a newbie

Unread post by Anon87 »

Can an evaporation line on a pregnancy test be blue? I've heard conflicting information that evaporation lines have no colour , but then heard stories where people get a thin faint blue line believing it to be a positive result and its actually just an evaporation line....
Jacob
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

It better to stick to the information given on the packaging. There are always 'stories' but the accurate official information is the only thing that's really relevant.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Anon87
not a newbie

Unread post by Anon87 »

Jacob wrote:It better to stick to the information given on the packaging. There are always 'stories' but the accurate official information is the only thing that's really relevant.
It doesn't mention the colour of evaporation lines. It does however say a pregnant line should be a similar thickness to the control line and the line I got was no where near as thick. I've also had a period since any risks so I'm really confused as to what this result might mean. I used another test too which was negative... but I can't get my head around why a thin blue positive line appeared (think it was faint grey originally amd turned blue throughout the course of the day).
Jacob
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

This isn't really something we can answer, and is veering right on the edge of our policy regarding not answering pregnancy anxiety questions. You may want to contact the manufacturer if you're not happy with the information they have provided. Othewise there's not much we can say.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Anon87
not a newbie

Unread post by Anon87 »

Jacob wrote:This isn't really something we can answer, and is veering right on the edge of our policy regarding not answering pregnancy anxiety questions. You may want to contact the manufacturer if you're not happy with the information they have provided. Othewise there's not much we can say.
I understand what you're saying but isn't it impossible to get a positive result if youve had a period?
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You can find the answer to that here: The Pregnancy Panic Companion

Again, have you and your partner discussed dialing back the level of sexual activity you're engaging in? Because it sounds like whatever level it currently is causes you a lot of stress.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic