Thin barely visible line on cheap test?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Anon87
not a newbie

Thin barely visible line on cheap test?

Unread post by Anon87 »

So before I say anything else ive had a period since the risk. I thought id take a pregnancy test to be sure.
What I would like to know is, in cheap shop's own brand tests is it normal to be able to see the pregnancy line very very thin and faint in the background? I've had a period so it would be ridiculously unlikely to be pregnant, but ive never noticed this line when using these tests before so I'm panicking. It's such a faint line you have to look closely to see it and its certainly not the same thickness as the very prominent not pregnant line that came up.
My question is, is it possible that the faint line I can see is just there because the test is a bit dodgey or just that it's there in the background ready to get big if necessary? Or does being able to see ANY pregnancy line mean it's positive?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Thin barely visible line on cheap test?

Unread post by Redskies »

The instructions that come with the test should tell you how to read it and what it means.

Cheaper, own brand tests are as reliable as more expensive branded tests. You just need to follow the instructions for the particular test you have, because the instructions can be different from one brand to another.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Anon87
not a newbie

Unread post by Anon87 »

Redskies wrote:The instructions that come with the test should tell you how to read it and what it means.

Cheaper, own brand tests are as reliable as more expensive branded tests. You just need to follow the instructions for the particular test you have, because the instructions can be different from one brand to another.

Well, a cross is supposed to mean pregnant and a horizontal line not pregnant. There's a big blue clear horizontal line (it's a blue dye test). However, if I look closely I can say a very thin, very pale vertical line. Ive had a period since any risky incident and its so faint it doesn't show up in a photo I took of the test (only the negative line shows up prominently). Could it just be an antibody strip that I can see (I don't normally see that with these tests but maybe it's more prominent)? I will take a digital test tomorrow. If it says not pregnant should I disregard today's two confusing tests and assume I am not pregnant?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

The manufacturer of the particular test is the best place to ask specific questions about the interpretation of that particular test. There should be some contact details that came with the test and instructions.

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic