Birth Control Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
rose12
not a newbie

Birth Control Question

Unread post by rose12 »

Hi,

I'm currently on 3-month cycle birth control pills. I didn't realize until slightly too late that I was out of refills for my prescription. I was able to get it taken care of, but I likely won't be able to start the new pack of active pills until a day or two after my week of inactive pills. How will this affect my protection? Is there anything extra I'll have to do or is it mostly the same as starting a new pack on time?

Thank you
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control Question

Unread post by Heather »

What you'll just want to do -- and you can always also check in with your prescribing physician about this -- is back up with a second method (like condoms) in that first week of the new pack if you don't do that already. If you want to be extra cautious, you could for the first month, but after that first week, you're probably good.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
rose12
not a newbie

Unread post by rose12 »

Thanks!

If I normally start taking my pills on a Sunday and I can't start the new pack until a Monday, should I take two pills on Monday as if I missed a pill or just one since it's the start of a new pack?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

You can take two like you missed one pill, since that's essentially what happened! Take a look at the insert that comes with your pill pack to see exactly what it suggests if you miss one pill, but it will most likely say to take the missed one when you remember (which would just be whenever you get the pill pack) and proceed as normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic