Am I just being paranoid ??

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Heretheirony
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My hair
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Yes
Sexual identity: Comfterble

Am I just being paranoid ??

Unread post by Heretheirony »

Hey , so I'm 15 and I just lost my virginity 3 days ago . Since then I been having a light burn when I'm pee , which I've been told happens when the hymen is broken . But then this morning I got my period and the light burn haven't stopped . My pee doesn't smell and Is clear , which is a good sign I don't have a uti but I'm not sure cause I still have the burn sensation . Is it still just the hymen ??
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Am I just being paranoid ??

Unread post by Mo »

Hi there,

Sometimes people can have some pain after intercourse; this isn't necessarily related to your hymenal tissue, though. Pain can happen if someone isn't relaxed or aroused enough beforehand, or if not enough lubricant is used - minor abrasions can happen in cases like this. Pain that is only happening when you're urinating sounds like it could be a different issue, though, and you really can't rule out a UTI just from the color or scent of your urine. Some STIs also have symptoms of burning with urination; did you and your partner use condoms during intercourse? Have either of you had STI tests before? Since this pain has been going on for three days, if it hasn't gone away in a day or two then it's a good idea to check in with a healthcare provider. We can't diagnose the problem, but pain that persists for several days is definitely something worth looking into.
Heretheirony
not a newbie

Mo wrote:Hi there,

Sometimes people can have some pain after intercourse; this isn't necessarily related to your hymenal tissue, though. Pain can happen if someone isn't relaxed or aroused enough beforehand, or if not enough lubricant is used - minor abrasions can happen in cases like this. Pain that is only happening when you're urinating sounds like it could be a different issue, though, and you really can't rule out a UTI just from the color or scent of your urine. Some STIs also have symptoms of burning with urination; did you and your partner use condoms during intercourse? Have either of you had STI tests before? Since this pain has been going on for three days, if it hasn't gone away in a day or two then it's a good idea to check in with a healthcare provider. We can't diagnose the problem, but pain that persists for several days is definitely something worth looking into.
Hi , and yes we used protection , plus both of us have been tested , I have had prior uti's ,so I do know the symptoms and it's a type of on and off burn . It is there sometimes when I pee and other times it is not there . So it's very confusing .
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Doctors are there to help make confusing physical symptoms make more sense, so I do think your best plan of action is to check in with one if you're still noticing pain (even intermittently) after a couple more days.
Heretheirony
not a newbie

Mo wrote:Doctors are there to help make confusing physical symptoms make more sense, so I do think your best plan of action is to check in with one if you're still noticing pain (even intermittently) after a couple more days.

Alright , thanks for the help :)
KatieCurtis911
Awesomeness Quotient: honest
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: female

Unread post by KatieCurtis911 »

You might want to look into some UTI over the counter products for preventing UTI. Cystex has a great one in tablet form that will help build the good bacteria in your body. If there is bad bacteria, you don't just want to kill both bacteria with antibiotics because its like starting all over. I have had slight UTI pain that came and went, if you are worried about a UTIs after sex, the cheapest and easiest route is to try Cystex. Not to mention that you don't have to get your parents involved or people to know what's going on with you. Good luck and I hope it gets better, this idea worked for me.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to be clear - and so no one winds up with an untreated UTI, which can spread to the kidneys and become incredibly dangerous - over the counter medications like Cystex will NOT treat a UTI. Same goes with probiotics. Once someone has a UTI, only antibiotics can treat it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic