What relationship topics do you have a hard time discussing?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

What relationship topics do you have a hard time discussing?

Unread post by Sam W »

When thinking about how to effectively communicate with friends, family, or partners, it helps to have a sense of what topics are hard for you to discuss. For instance, you may have a hard time sharing your insecurities or hesitate to discuss what you want from a relationship. If you have those hard spots, what are they? And if you found ways to manage them, what techniques worked for you? For instance, if you're someone who has a hard time voicing boundaries, practicing setting them in low stakes situations helps you get used to the process so the first time you try it is not a super important moment.
Carla MCG
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My openess
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: What relationship topics do you have a hard time discussing?

Unread post by Carla MCG »

I'm 41 now but when I was a young teen I could never talk to my parents about sex. In our house sex was only for marriage and same sex relationships were the "devils work." Consequently I had a lot of sex when I was very young with both males and females and looking back they were not healthy relationships. My mom is 65 now and still does not know that my current partner is female. I think as we get older we either mimic the parenting we grew up with or we take the opposite route and parent completely opposite. I'm happy that I took the opposite approach.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

Great topic, Sam! I have a super hard time expressing insecurity and negative emotions to people, as I've grown up with this atmosphere that talking about or showing my emotions/feeling insecure = "wallowing in self-pity" or being "weak". What I've found helpful is first taking baby steps by talking to people I trust about these things via text (as I find I express things a lot better in writing, and it also means I'm minimizing the vulnerability a bit by not being face-to-face) and then once I've stuck my toe in the water and they've responded positively, I feel safer to start talking about vulnerable things face-to-face. I still find it incredibly hard, but it helps a bit.
Lisa555
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Sexual identity: female

Unread post by Lisa555 »

Actually I never thought of this. Me and my BF are almost okay talking about everything.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Honestly, I think just discussing that I or a partner might be unhappy about something in our relationship is the hardest thing. Especially if the relationship has been going a while, it feels like there is more to lose. But I know to fight the instinct to just keep the peace and face things.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic