Brown discharge

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kmcmizzle
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm caring!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Brown discharge

Unread post by kmcmizzle »

Hi! I am currently on birth control (have been for a while now) and I'm on day 16 of my cycle (start date Oct. 19th). Today I have experienced brown discharge. Is this something to be concerned about? Could it be pregnancy related? Or could it be just because of where I'm at in my cycle? (I am sexually active with my partner - on birth control, and always use condoms.)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Brown discharge

Unread post by Heather »

Nope, not usually. :) Spotting (which can include brown discharge) on the pill is a common side effect. Pretty much the same as around this time last year when you were similarly concerned.

You always want to be sure once you've started having sex with partners to get regularly tested for STIs and other infections anyway, so if you don't already do that around once a year, it's best you start. That can also give you a chance to be sure this isn't anything to sweat if it keeps up, happens more often, or you just want to be sure it's all good.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic