Why are there unwanted pregnancies?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Lucy5443
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Im driven
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Why are there unwanted pregnancies?

Unread post by Lucy5443 »

I know no birth control is 100% perfect. But if you do try to be safe, check everything why some couples end up pregnant, even when they try not to?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Why are there unwanted pregnancies?

Unread post by Heather »

Well, again, no method of contraception is 100% effective.

As an example, the pill, used typically (as it often will be in a year), is around 91% effective. That means 9 out of every hundred people using that method become pregnant each year. That adds up to a lot of people. Dual contraception and/or long-term methods (like the IUD) are what prevents pregnancy best, but many people don't use dual contraception or long-term methods.

Plus (and this is only a partial list):
• many people don't use contraception, even though they don't want to become pregnant, and that includes people who don't have any access, or reliable access to methods of contraception
• some people become pregnant via abuse or assault
• some people think they know how to use a method, but aren't actually using it correctly
• some people don't use contraception because they actually want to be pregnant, but then their circumstances change in a way that result in a pregnancy being unwanted

In other words, lots of reasons.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Lucy5443
not a newbie

Thank you so much! I thought that maybe something "magical" happened like semen leaking from the base of the Condom even if it didn't break. Or people lying about what they did sexually.
If I have another question can I ask it here, or should I write a new one?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

No magic in any of this, just biology and circumstance.

Here's fine for something additional. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Lucy5443
not a newbie

Perfect thank you so much again!!
I've been having mild cramps for the last 2 days, may period comes next week (thursday) I did have protected sex about 5 days ago. I was wondering if it might be connected or it might be a whole different thing, spent hung I should be worried about ?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Are these stomach cramps or uterine cramps? If they're uterine cramps, do you often get cramps before your period begins?
Lucy5443
not a newbie

They are uterine. I do get ten before my period but like 4 days before not 10...that's why I'm worried hihi
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Well, your timing might be off. Even the most regular of cycles has a standard deviation of 2-3 days (meaning regular cycles still often fluctuate by a few days), and sometimes cycles shift. So, unless these turn painful, no need not to wait it out.

If they do turn painful, and/or keep up even after your period, then it's probably worth checking in with a healthcare provider.
Lucy5443
not a newbie

Thank you !! It's not painful, I just feel it. I was a bit worried it could be linked to sex (maybe he was too rough, it was my first time and it did hurt ) or condom leaked (pregnancy ?) thanks again :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Again if the cramps continue after your period, or they continue should you skip a period, or should they get worse, I'd suggest, then, you check in with a healthcare provider. But they won't be about injury during intercourse, as intercourse doesn't involve (and can't involve: it's not possible) any contact with the uterus.

Per the pregnancy bit:
We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Lucy5443
not a newbie

Excellent thank you so much! Have a very nice evening Heather!!
Lisa555
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: female

Unread post by Lisa555 »

Wooaahh! I never knew all that. Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic