IUD removal for biopsy

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
eric_california

IUD removal for biopsy

Unread post by eric_california »

My girlfriend is having her hormonal IUD (Mirena) briefly removed for a biopsy tomorrow. 5 days ago I ejaculated on (but not in) her vagina. Does she need to take emergency contraception? Most sources say sperm can live up to 3-5 days if they make it into a woman's body, but I've also heard 7 days.

Also, the IUD will be out for 15 minutes or so for the procedure. How many days, if any, should we wait after it's back in before resuming sex?

Thank you.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: IUD removal for biopsy

Unread post by Heather »

That first question is one for her to call into her OB/GYN about. I don't think that should be an issue given how the IUD works, but I would suggest she double check with her healthcare provider.

Per the latter, after a cervical biopsy, depending on what kind of biopsy, your girlfriend will be advised not to engage in sex that involves her vulva or vagina for anywhere from one week to several weeks, due to the risk of infection after the procedure. So, there will be an "if any" simply for her safety and health, and that will be seven days at a minimum. By the time it is even okay for her to engage in that kind of sex, any kind of IUD she has will be fully effective.

I would just also add that if you do not practice safer sex already, I would encourage you to do so once you resume sex together again, particularly if you were not ever vaccinated for HPV, as HPV is what causes cervical cancer.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic