I want to know more about withdrawal bleeding

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
alexialyla
Awesomeness Quotient: Math
Primary language: Thai
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Female

I want to know more about withdrawal bleeding

Unread post by alexialyla »

As I have read several articles about withdrawal bleeding, I know that the bleeding occurs when you are on the placebo pills or 7 days pills free interval.
I have been on the pills for almost 2 years and the first time doctor prescribed the birth control pills to me in order to regulate my cycle.(those pills are combination pills)

What I want to know more are:

1. If you are on the placebo period and you have a very light period (5-6 drops for 6 days), could this be a sign for health problems?
FYI, before I had taken pills I had a very irregular period (from having period twice a year to having period 13 days a month)

2. As withdrawal bleeding occurs when body doesn't receive the hormones as it used to, would the bleeding also occur when you stop taking pills after the 9th day?

Thank you so much
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I want to know more about withdrawal bleeding

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Alexia,

Having a light period isn't automatically a sign of health issues. It could be how your body responds to being on the pill. Too, you may find that as time goes on you experience variation in how light or heavy your flow is, since bodies are not machines and can respond differently to things from month to month.

To your second question, if you stopped taking your pills in the middle of the pack, that would likely cause some cycle oddness as your body tries to adjust, which could include bleeding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic