Missed birth control in first week

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
mandarin

Missed birth control in first week

Unread post by mandarin »

I've been taking the pill for about a year, and I'm usually very strict about taking it at exactly the same time. However, as I wasn't able to get to the pharmacy I missed the first pill of the pack. I've taken the first pill and continued the pack as instructed. However, I'm confused by the advice offered by the instruction booklet and the internet about whether I've been covered over the last week. My pill says that "If you had sex in the week before forgetting the tablet you may be pregnant". I had sex during the first pill-free day. We used a condom and he did not ejaculate, so I'm hoping this means that the chances of pregnancy are still very low. I'm just wondering why the chances of pregnancy would be increased by missing the first pill in the pack, and whether this would realistically apply to the first pill-free day?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Missed birth control in first week

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards.

Basically, you need enough hormone from the pill in your system for it to do its job properly. If you don't start taking it again when you should after your pill-free week, you can't be sure that there's enough to protect you from pregnancy. It doesn't vanish all at once, though, so you still have some protection, just not the same amount you normally would.

If you hadn't been using a condom - and you were, yay for back-up methods!, this is exactly why we recommend backing up :) , so this next information doesn't apply to you, but you asked how it'd be possible, so here you are - sperm from intercourse hang out for some days in the reproductive system, and can be capable of fertilising an egg 5-7 days later. So, if someone didn't start the next pill cycle like they should a week later, and their reproductive system got going again fast with its fertility, pregnancy is possible.

If you'd like more information about how the pill works, we have How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period? and Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers). For the details on the reproduction process: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide

Anything else that you need with this? :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic