The Pill and Condoms

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dakota1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

The Pill and Condoms

Unread post by dakota1 »

Hi, i've been on the pill for two months now and started having sex about two weeks ago. The first time we didn't use a condom but he didn't come inside me (he's my boyfriend and swears he pulled out right away). The second time we did use it thought. My question is: Is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to wear a condom every time you have sex if you're on the pill? I know it makes it more effective and protects you from diseases but still, in case of unvoluntary sex,condom failure,etc are you still protected by it?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: The Pill and Condoms

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Dakota,

Assuming you're taking the pill correctly, you should have the full protection it offers in the event that a condom is not used. However, the reason we and many other sources suggest backing up with condoms, as you noted, is that a) they protect against STIs and b) the pill's protection rate is not 100%, but if you combine the pill with a condom you've gotten even closer to that 100% protection level against pregnancy.
dakota1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by dakota1 »

Thank you! I never missed one, only taken it a few hours later (2 or 3). What concerns me is that in case a few drops of semen did land on me, is there a chance of pregnancy?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

With the pill, you actually have a 12 hour grace period before it's considered late, so two or three hours should not decrease the effectiveness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic