Dating in gr 8 and interracially

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SM_AC_LOVE?
Awesomeness Quotient: My personality and makeup skills
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Dating in gr 8 and interracially

Unread post by SM_AC_LOVE? »

I like this guy who is Jamaican and I am Caucasian and I am not sure what to do, given my age, but I think I may be in unrequited love or something because I've liked him for over 6 months and I think he may like me because he jokes around about it and I am sitting here thinking "what just happened?" And his friends and my classmates all make fun of me everytime he is near or I try to talk to him... HELP :?:
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Dating in gr 8 and interracially

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi SM_AC! Welcome to Scarleteen!

You're implying age and race might be issues here, but I'm not hearing anything about that from what you've said! Is there something I'm missing?

However, your peers all making fun of you, whenever you speak to him; that does sound stressful! It can also make it difficult for both of you to decide whether you like eachother when there is so much pressure from everyone else.

So a few questions:

What would you like to happen, ideally, between you and this guy?
Do you think you could ask your classmates to back off?
Could their behaviour make things difficult in the future?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
SM_AC_LOVE?
Awesomeness Quotient: My personality and makeup skills
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by SM_AC_LOVE? »

Thanks Jacob! For each question in order I will number them
1: I would like to date him but I'm not entirely sure if he even wants to....
2: I've tried to do JUST THAT but get told off by some of the girls for "acting up" or giving attitude... Then they say they are just kidding and to chill but they don't understand why I am not liking what they are doing apparently...
3: if by their you mean the guy then no.... I actually don't mind their behavior but I'm not sure if he knows that... If you mean my classmates then maybe, I'm not entirely sure, they tend to back off sometimes when someone starts dating the person, most of the time....
Anyways thanks again
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi SM_AC,

With the guy you like, would you like some advice on how to ask him out? At a certain point when you like someone the easiest and quickest way to know if they reciprocate is by asking them directly.

High five for standing up for yourself to your classmates! One phrase that sometimes works if someone says they are just joking is "It's not feeling like a joke and it's bothering me, so please don't do it." That way the conversations is more about the results of their actions rather than you and they trying to argue the motivations behind them. Does that make sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic