Had to stop my pill mid pack...

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Prettyskittle
not a newbie

Had to stop my pill mid pack...

Unread post by Prettyskittle »

I had been taking my contraceptive pill (Cilest) back to back, but I then had to go into hospital for a minor operation so they told me to stop taking my pill, due to it could have affected my blood in the operation etc.

I have 7 pills in my old pack and I have had spotting and am having a withdrawal bleed now. Is it ok for me to wait until I have completely finished my period and then start my new pack of pills afresh?

I am not currently sexually active so there is no worry about becoming pregnant, whilst I have stopped my pills.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Had to stop my pill mid pack...

Unread post by Heather »

What you'll want to do is just set aside those last seven (you can keep them in case you ever drop or lose a pill from a pack you're using), and start your new pack today, as a Sunday start.

Unless your doctor has advised you differently, you don't want to wait until your period is over (or later than today), because that'll make it take longer for your period to line up with your pill cycle and the pill also won't be effective as soon.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic