Stopping birth control and your period after

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
AG144
not a newbie

Stopping birth control and your period after

Unread post by AG144 »

On Thursday September 15th, I took my last active pill of my last birth control cycle (21 pills) and haven't been back on the pill since. I had unprotected sex the day after (Friday). I got my period a few days after as usual (either Monday or Tuesday). My period was short as it normally is when I'm on the pill. The problem is, I haven't gotten my period since that week. That means it's been about 6 weeks since my last period. Is it possible that I got pregnant because of the unprotected sex I had right after I took my last pill, even tho I got my period after?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, the Monday after I stopped the pill I got sick and took Zithromax (antibiotics?) for my cough and the Wednesday (the 21st), I started taking anti-swelling pain pills called Diclofenac. Could that have affected anything?
Last edited by AG144 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Stopping birth control and your period after

Unread post by Heather »

If you had unprotected sex right after taking the pill, then by all means, I'd suggest you take a pregnancy test to be sure, as unprotected sex does typically present a high risk of pregnancy.

If the result is negative, just know that it can take anywhere from weeks to months -- for some people, even as long as half a year or so -- for periods (rather than withdrawal bleeds, which is what you have on the pill instead of menstrual periods) to find their footing as a cycle again and start showing up regularly.

Just obviously also bear in mind that moving forward, if you want to prevent pregnancy, you and any partner will need to use some method of contraception, be that finding a different ongoing method like this pill, using a method like condoms, or both.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
AG144
not a newbie

Unread post by AG144 »

Thank you I'll have to go buy a test soon. I just thought that during the 7 days after your last active pill you were still protected.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Only if you start a next pack after that. Otherwise, alas, nope.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
AG144
not a newbie

Unread post by AG144 »

:/ I really didn't know that. Thank u so much for ur help.
AG144
not a newbie

Unread post by AG144 »

I'm sorry I just have to ask one last time to be sure for future references, but once u have unprotected sex during the 7 days after the active cycle and don't continue taking pills after, u can get pregnant even when you've had the normal withdrawal bleeding during those 7 days? Cuz that isn't really your period?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Just to clarify, did sex occur before, after, or during the withdrawl bleed or inactive pills?
AG144
not a newbie

Unread post by AG144 »

It happened before the withdrawal bleed. The day after I took my last active pill. I got my period 3 days after I had sex.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Not sure why Sam was asking that (but I bet she knows!), but to skip forward to answering what you asked in a general way, having a period isn't what makes someone able or unable to be pregnant: it's ovulating that does.

So, for the pill to work during all of the pack, including during the placebo period when ovulating is not being suppressed by the pill's active ingredients, people have to keep taking them. If someone stops taking the pill, they should figure the protection they get from it ends with their last active pill, not the last placebo, if they aren't going to take active pills again at the end of that week.

But if you're not going to take the pill anymore, this obviously isn't relevant to you for the future. :)
mnd64
Awesomeness Quotient: my hair
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual-mostly guys

Unread post by mnd64 »

hey,
so..i finished and stopped my birth control in late april and early may and i didn't get my period until late may/ June 1. The first night I had severe cramps, they were sharp pains, and my flow was heavy. What I think were period clots came out. Now, the last couple of days have been somewhat light and kinda spotty. I still have cramps. my breasts have been sore for 2 weeks before my period. My questions are: Is this normal while getting off BC?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Hi mnd64,

It can take a few months for your body to adjust to coming off any form of hormonal birth control, so noticing cramping, heavier flow, and a longer/shorter period isn't unusual. You may notice that things settle down after a few cycles, but don't be too alarmed if you notice irregularity in your period's timing or more heavy/painful periods for the next few months as that can be a common part of the adjustment process.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic