Improving taste?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Scottch
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Vet-to-be!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Improving taste?

Unread post by Scottch »

So I love going down on my boyfriend. I much, much prefer it to usual intercourse, and he tends to enjoy it more as well.

The only problem is, I really, really don't like the taste of cum. And I find it lingers no matter how many times I brush my teeth, gargle mouthwash, drink coffee etc. He's apparently been ODing on all things pineapple now that this has become a regular part of our time together, and I really love swallowing because I know he enjoys it, and that makes me happy. Plus he's super enthusiastic about returning the favour for me.

Is there anyway he can improve the taste? Or, failing that, how can I better judge when he's about to ejaculate? Because he's very much someone who edges himself, so judging when he's close can be really difficult. And when he gives me a verbal warning, it could mean he's ten seconds away or ten minutes. I have no problem swallowing if he's already in my throat because my tongue is out of the way, but if he catches me by surprise or isn't so far in I can taste it and my instant reaction is to recoil, which often results in awkward mess haha

Any ideas? Anyone else stuck with the problem of enjoying the act but really not tolerating the taste? He's extremely clean and whatnot, so that's not a problem.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Improving taste?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Scottch,

The truth is there's only so much someone can do to alter the taste of their ejaculate (I grew up hearing the pineapple trick, but now some folks are starting to say there's not much evidence to it). And communication, which it sounds like you two are already doing, is the other big tip. One possible thing to try is to use a condom for the next little while and continue to practice that communication to see if you two can practice and figure out the timing a little more without triggering your recoil.

Also, to check, are you both up to date on your STI tests?
Scottch
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Vet-to-be!
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Scottch »

Yea, I'm personally not convinced the pineapple trick is anything more than an urban legend, but he swears by it so I'll let him have his fun haha.
I was just wondering if there's a telltale sign (tightening, change in taste, increase in heart rate etc) that I could go off of. I try to pay attention to his reactions but it can be a little difficult to gauge when he brings himself to the edge then clamps down on it over and over.

We're both up to date, yes, and both clear. Neither of us have other partners either (that I'm aware, anyway!) so there shouldn't be anything having developed since we last got checked.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Scottch,

This sort of thing, where we're talking about technique, is going to be very individual so it's something you and your boyfriend will need to work on together by communicating what you're noticing and he's feeling. If those dots can be joined you might learn to make it work for both of you.

I would also recoommend trying condoms for oral sex and perhaps experimenting with diffferent types. That way you you get to practise being ahead (*ahem*) of the game should STIs crop up in your future sex life, but also find ways to make it pleasurable for you and him and avoid having to taste ejaculate.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic