Skin covering vaginal opening?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Skin covering vaginal opening?

Unread post by Jellowl »

Hello!

I've just recently done a self examination of my labia to see what was causing some stinging sensations when I washed. I couldn't see anything that looked like something to worry about; my guess was maybe some tissue was rubbed the wrong way or it was irritated somehow and caused some slightly raw skin (Happens a lot for me so I take it as no big deal, just an uncomfortable one). When I was looking with the mirror, I noticed that there is a huge amount of extra skin covering my vaginal opening. In most diagrams I see, there is no skin and you can see an opening. With me, you can't. I find this odd because when I have sex, everything works out. There is minimal to no pain upon entry and no sign of anything blocking my entrance. Is this normal? I know every vagina is different so could this be one of the differences some people have?

Thanks for the advice, have a lovely day!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Skin covering vaginal opening?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jellowl,

With the skin you're seeing, is it actually across the opening? Or is it more that your labia cover the opening pretty extensively?
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy

Unread post by Jellowl »

Heyo,

It's not extra skin from the labia that I can tell, it looks like seperate skin covering the opening. It is completly over the opening (across as well). I'm not sure if this description helps you, sorry. :?

Thanks
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hey Jellowl,

Although it really is sounding like this could be one of those "every vulva is different" things, I couldn't say for sure. If it is concerning you, nothing wrong with checking in with a healthcare professional.

Do you have an idea of why you are experiencing irritation frequently?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Bear in mind that most anatomical diagrams of any body parts simplify those parts visually. There's some sound reason for that with parts like these because there is so much diversity, that lowest common denominator is basically the best that can be done.

IMO, it sounds to me like what you may be seeing is one of the ways the vaginal opening can look as the corona (hymen) wears away over time, particularly earlier in life (as in, you're in your teens, not your 40s), and it usually will NOT create pain or block anything, because it's very thin and very stretchy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic